Day in history for March 9, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Major William P. Butler, Republican, was elected mayor of Rock Island, defeating Bailey Davenport, Democrat. A total of 1,855 votes were cast.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Ladies who wish to dress their hair in the latest fashion should do the following: Wave the hair all around the head, gather lightly on the top, fastening with tape or string. Divide the hair into strands and form into loops or puffs by doubling over the hand and securing to the main fastening. Curl the ends and arrange around the loops.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- A bulletproof auto for use of Rock Island's police force is under consideration.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- A fire in the basement of St. Luke's Hospital caused a bit of excitement Thursday night but there was no panic among patients as fire fighters quickly extinguished the blaze. The loss from the blaze was nominal. The fire was confined to a hallway, leading to a paint storage room.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The Oak Glen Home was closed to visitors today after a flu epidemic that invaded the home earlier this week claimed the life of an Orion man. The same flu virus has infected about 50 of the home's 250 residents, according to Dr. Ruth Rominger, medical director at Oak Glen. There are a few severe cases remaining and all necessary precautions are being taken to prevent further spreading of the disease.
Back: Available days in March 2001