Day in history for March 3, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Bailey Davenport was nominated as Democratic candidate for mayor. Aldermanic candidates are L.M. Buford, W.H. Lundy, Ignatius Huber, J.E. Warner and John Bladel.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Milan narrowly escaped a flood as the ice went out of Mill Creek.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island County Bar Association hopes to obtain the state convention in the city.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Louis Hantz, as a result of the toss of a coin, is the Democratic candidate for alderman in East Moline's Fifth Ward. This unusual, but legal, method of choosing a candidate for the April municipal election was necessary when Mr. Hantz and William Davidson each received 29 votes in Tuesday's primary election.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A band of elderly Henry County residents have completed a prolonged search to find forgotten names of old roads to have them permanently marked by new signs as a Bicentennial project. ``State Road'' which is now Illinois 81 between Cambridge and Kewanee, ``Angel Ferry Road'' which leads to a former Rock River ferry landing site near Shady Beach, the ``Allerton Road'' northeast of Geneseo and the ``Morristown Road'' west of Geneseo were uncovered and will be posted. Once famous intersections such as ``Brandenburg Corners'' near Colona and ``Cozner's Corners'' east of Cambridge also were uncovered and will be marked.
Back: Available days in March 2001