Day in history for March 26, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Mrs. Wilshire of Little Rock, Ark., wife of the Hon. W.W. Wilshire, member of congress from that district, was at the Harper House Saturday night on her way to Cordova to see her father (Mr. Reynolds) who is dangerously ill.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The board of education held a special meeting to examine plans for the new high school building.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Attorneys for John Looney conferred in Peoria to make plans to appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court the murder and conspiracy cases of which Looney was convicted.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Daniel Rene and Stephen Rene Meiresonne, 1-year-old twins of Mr. and Mrs. Rene Meiresonne, 119 14th St., Silvis, who observed their first birthday yesterday, will not have another Easter birthday this century. Mrs. Meiresonne is a native of Rock Island, and Mr. Meiresonne, formerly of Geneseo, is now employed by the Rock Island office of the Illinois Bell Telephone Company.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Bob Hope, famous entertainer and humanitarian, will be the speaker for the 94th annual commencement May 9 at St. Ambrose College. The graduation ceremony will be held on the lawn under the oaks in front of Ambrose Hall. Seating will be reserved for the St. Ambrose College family, graduates and their families, and guests. Mr. Hope's participation in the commencement was initiated last fall by Scott Oyen, president of the senior class.
Back: Available days in March 2001