Day in history for March 23, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Daniel Corcoran and Patrick Carey were seriously injured while at work at the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Major C. McD. Townsend was placed in charge of the Hennepin Canal in this vicinity.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- E.W. Robinson was nominated for assistant supervisor by Republicans of South Rock Island Township.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The construction of new television stations in the Quad-City area, and changes in the present allocation of channels may follow a proposed ``thaw'' in the 30-month-old federal ban on TV construction. Station WQUA, Moline, has an application filed with the commission, and plans to start building a TV station as soon as permitted, a WQUA spokesman said today. Station KSTT of Davenport also has filed, and plans to enter the TV field when practical.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A widespread grass fire with smoke that could be seen for several miles in the Quad-Cities was fought by East Moline and Silvis firefighters. The uncontrollable fire burned through swampy grassland near the unincorporated Babcock Addition, in the rear of the Silvis Yards of the Rock Island Lines. Firefighters were called to the fire at 4:22 p.m. and spent several hours attempting to cut off the fire. Firemen left the scene about 6:50 p.m. but returned again at 9:30 p.m. for a half hour.
Back: Available days in March 2001