Day in history for March 1, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Appointed Democratic candidates to the city convention were J. Fisher, S. Stoddard, Thomas Corcoran, C.W. Negus, F. Farrell, William Young and Peter Scherer.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Moline Ice Company has removed 20,000 tons of ice from the river in preparation for the summer.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Elks Lodge started a movement to submit a proposition of legalized boxing in Rock Island by a vote of the people.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- There's nothing like a brisk, sunny day for a short trip on a tricycle. At least, that's what Stevie Fiems, 5, of 2120 44th St., Moline, decided this morning. However, he failed to take his mother into his confidence, and she had the law on the alert for her errant offspring. Sergeant Willis Brandt received a telephone call from a friend of the Fiems family that Stevie had just arrived at her home. Police estimated that the boy traveled about 2 1/2 miles to the friend's house.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Moline Fire Department Capt. Carl G. Pearson and Platoon Capt. Harold J. McFarland were honored at a retirement party for the two long-time firefighters. Both men joined the department in 1943 and retired from the department last month. McFarland was promoted to the rank of platoon captain in 1967 and Pearson was promoted to the rank of captain in 1965.
Back: Available days in March 2001