Day in history for February 9, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- George W. Cable and Rev. Mr. Merrill are delegates of the Congregational church to the advisory council meeting in Brooklyn.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Club voted to join in the effort to secure for Rock Island the biennial state camp of the Modern Woodmen of America in 1903.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Hans Hansen, a farmer residing near Cordova, was awarded first prize in the Rock Island corn contest.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Two former residents, Mr. and Mrs. Spencer I. Berglund, are members of the cast in a motion picture being filmed in Sarasota, Fla., where they reside. The picture ``The Greatest Show on Earth,'' depicts the Ringling Brothers circus. Mr. Berglund was an abstractor in Aledo for several years before he went to Florida about four years ago.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Moline faces a life-and-death crisis shared with many other U.S. cities and the nation's physicians. A lawsuit-conscious public last year caused Moline's liability insurance premiums to double and may send them climbing another 300 percent this year. Insurance company officials say a burgeoning number of lawsuits against the nation's cities make them bad insurance risks. The city's current general liability policy cost $27,000 two years ago, then jumped to $54,000 when renewed last year. It expires April 1.
Back: Available days in February 2001