Day in history for February 5, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- William A. Pilgrim has opened a new flour and feed store in Bean's block at the corner of Orleans and Otter, Rock Island.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The machine shops of Jackson, Whitehead And Co., presently located at 19th Street and 1st Avenue, Rock Island, will be moved to Davenport.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Chamber of Commerce launched a campaign to raise the budget to $35,000 and consolidate all business organizations in Rock Island.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The winner, and only entry, in the March of Dimes display window guessing contest in Rock Island, is Mrs. Janet Sylvester. Mrs. Sylvester guessed that $750 was contributed to the county polio fund during the last half of January through a slot in a window at Newberry's store in Rock Island. Her guess was some distance from the actual total of donations, about $96. But since Mrs. Sylvester was the only entry, she was declared the winner.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Stronger enforcement of the leash law is Coal Valley Police Chief Jack Coleman's answer to an ``inordinate'' amount of dog complaints. Coleman told village trustees that if the owner of a dog running loose is known and is not available to confine the dog, the owner will be arrested as soon as possible. Coleman said once the word gets around that the law is being enforced, dogs will be tied up.
Back: Available days in February 2001