Day in history for February 24, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- A raging fire caused widespread destruction to Hill's block on the corner of 3rd and Brady, Davenport.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The latest models of ladies' high shoes were offered for sale at $2.10 a pair at the Boston Shoe Store.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Station WOC will broadcast a mystery program, the first to be heard in this area.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Private (first class) Charles P. Conner, 20, Davenport, has a battered and somewhat mildewed English brand cigaret he wears over his ear as a good luck charm when going into battle. Conner, with the armored section of the Second Infantry Division in Korea, said he got the lucky cigaret from a Netherlands soldier. ``Stopped the tank to bum a smoke, and a Chink mortar shell hit where the tank would have been,'' Conner said. ``Sorta kept the butt as a lucky souvenir.''
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The Illowa Health Planning Council is applying for a $143,700 grant to establish a paramedic program in the Illinois Quad-Cities. The grant will provide for three paramedic vans with special equipment which will be connected with Moline Public Hospital, the resource facility, with other hospitals, Illini, Lutheran and Franciscan acting as associate facilities. The grant will also provide for the training of eight paramedics, to be directed through Moline Public Hospital.
Back: Available days in February 2001