Day in history for February 17, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- It is rumored that W.L. Sweeney will seek the nomination for Rock Island mayor.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Chicago, Rock Island And Pacific railway announced a special rate of $30 for round trip tickets to California.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The telephone cable system in Rock Island is being replaced and extended at a cost of $120,000 to handle increased traffic.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- This was ``broken limb'' week in Orion. Suzanne McWhinney, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar McWhinney, fell at her home and received a fracture of her left arm. Mrs. Duane Malmen has returned from the Moline Lutheran Hospital where she has been a patient for a week after falling and breaking her leg. Jerry Krueger, Orion high school student, suffered a broken leg and injuries to a week-old wrist fracture when he fell down the stairs in the Ferd Schillinger home Tuesday.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A planeload of relief supplies for Guatemala leaving the Quad-City Airport today will be supplemented by a truckload next week if all the donations collected do not fit into the plane. An overwhelming response by Quad-Citians may have generated more supplies than the allocated space. The Rev. Thomas Kalshoven, director of Churches United of Scott and Rock Island Counties, termed the outpouring of donations ``amazing.''
Back: Available days in February 2001