Day in history for February 14, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The two-story frame dwelling of James Baird on the east side of Arsenal Street, between Grove Street and Second Avenue, Rock Island, was damaged extensively by fire.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Fire Department was called to clear snow from the roofs of some of the school buildings.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The Augustana College Board of Directors will extend an invitation to Crown Prince Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden to visit Rock Island during his stay in this country.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The annexation of Mound View to Moline School District was confirmed by heavy majorities in a referendum yesterday. The proposition carried in Mound View, 128 to 2, and in Moline School District, 124 to 13. Almost as many people voted in Mound View, the school district in the vicinity of Quad-City Airport, as in all of Moline.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A Belgian Valentine's Day wedding will have a Mexican flavor. Ron Raymond of East Moline is supplying colorful Mexican pinatas, shaped like Valentine hearts, for the wedding reception of his cousin, Joseph Depoorter, and Jacqueline Hirst, both of Moline. Raymond began making pinatas as therapy to end his post-heart attack depression and boredom. The hobby has developed to the point where he is kept busy turning out pinatas for parties of family and friends.
Back: Available days in February 2001