Day in history for February 10, 2001

1876 -- 125 years ago
John Cewe of Rapids City incurred a fractured skull when he was struck on the head by a piece of coal at the Gilchrist And Cewe mine.

1901 -- 100 years ago
R.H. Lovvett, who is in charge of the mailing department of the Modern Woodmen of America, is ill with typhoid fever.

1926 -- 75 years ago
Judson J. Adams, Rock Island, was appointed to the Rock Island board of park commissioners.

1951 -- 50 years ago
A house that would practically keep itself, ordered by Mr. and Mrs. Lester G. Paridon, 2414 28th Ave. That is what their general contractor, John F. Litvin, started building for them in June, 1950. Mr. and Mrs. Paridon moved in early December into their new home, believed to be the first all-electric house in Rock Island and one of the few in the Quad-Cities to be heated entirely by electricity.

1976 -- 25 years ago
Mrs. Julia Campbell weathered below zero nights in her uninsulated East Moline home this winter by paying $82 gas and electric bills on her 52-year-home. Those high utility bills should now be a thing of the past for the 88-year-old woman. She is one of the first 100 low income and elderly Rock Island County homeowners qualifying for the federally funded ``winterization project'' coordinated by Project NOW. The project began a week ago after receiving a $49,000 grant from the government.

Back: Available days in February 2001




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.




(More History)