Day in history for January 8, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- New officers of Island City Lodge 4, AOUW, are G.A. Solander, George Alters, George Downes Jr., James St. Clair, Henry Kinner, D.W. Traft and James Thompson.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The shoe firm of Wright And Barber dissolved partnership, the former becoming the sole owner.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The Ottawa Cushion Co. will purchase the plant formerly occupied by the Rock Island Garment Co.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- A wave of car thefts in Rock Island's hill district since Jan. 1 has been solved, police said today, as a result of confessions of four Rock Island teenagers Saturday night. Assistant Police Chief Lawrence O. Jones said the boys, two 13 years of age and two 14, admitted taking at least six cars and driving most of them to the downtown area. Police called in the boys' parents and ultimately let the boys go home. The parents promised closer supervision and they were warned that second offenses by the boys would result in police action.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Mrs. Susan B. Gende, Moline, is one of 13 people named to the new Illinois Delinquency Prevention Commission by Gov. Dan Walker. Gende is Rock Island County Assistant State's Attorney in the Juvenile Court Division. The commission will develop a statewide central records system for juveniles so that the police youth-officers will have rapid access to a juvenile background.
Back: Available days in January 2001