Day in history for January 31, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island township residents serving on the petit jury are Jacob Roth, Anton Hohman, Frank Ankram, J.L. Kirsch, Andrew Littig, John Aster and W.H. Lundy.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Will Carse was elected president of the Rock Island High School Athletic Association. Will Channon was named vice president, and Jennie Collins secretary.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Lee Schutte, Rock Island building inspector, issued a building permit for construction of the $57,000 addition to the Servus Rubber Company.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Because of the slight rainfall last fall in the Quad-City area, more than 3,000 gallons of water is being trucked daily to farmers whose supply has become acutely short. Wayne Wooley of Moline and his partner, Bill Flick, are trucking between 3,000 and 4,000 gallons of water from the Moline waterworks to small towns and farmers in the area.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Black Hawk Racing Association ended attempts to purchase the bankrupt East Moline Downs. ``After two years of diligent work we have been unable to raise the necessary funds required to make a substantive purchase offer for the track,'' the racing association said in a statement. They also said few banks in the Quad-City area were willing to loan the organization money to finance the track purchase.
Back: Available days in January 2001