Day in history for January 3, 2001
- 1875 -- 126 years ago
- Total attendance at the Rock Island Public Library during the past month was 4,139. The daily average was 159 persons.
- 1900 -- 101 years ago
- The bridges over Rock River between Rock Island and Milan will be strengthened to hold street cars.
- 1925 -- 76 years ago
- The Black Hawk Hiking Club selected the badlands of South Dakota as the place for its 1926 hike.
- 1950 -- 51 years ago
- A $600 resuscitator was presented to the East Moline fire department this week by an anonymous donor, according to Ray Lundeen, assistant fire chief. The new resuscitator is smaller and more compact than the old model which has been used by the department since 1943. The department started keeping records two years ago on each case handled and in that period the resuscitator has been used on 45 cases.
- 1975 -- 26 years ago
- Janet Stowell has broken down another male bastion. She is Moline High School's first female drum major. ``There is really no reason why we never had a girl in the job before,'' said Louis DiIulio, director of the band and coordinator of instrumental music at the high school. ``I guess it just never came up before.'' He added he doesn't think Women's Lib had much to do with Janet's application for the post, held by males since DiIulio arrived at Moline in 1959.
Back: Available days in January 2001