Day in history for January 19, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Rural Township has constructed a new town hall at a cost of $1,300.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- L.V. Eckhart, Jr., was elected president of the Rock Island Industrial Home Association.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The street car company has agreed with the city of Rock Island to replace tracks with boulevard on 4th Avenue.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Misfortune seems to strike all at once in the Vern Riggs family of Andalusia. And all the trouble is centered in the feet. Yesterday morning Mrs. Riggs was walking to a dental appointment in Moline. Her left foot slipped off a curb at 21st St. and 5th Ave., and she suffered a fracture of her left ankle. In the afternoon Mr. Riggs underwent an operation for an abscess on his right foot. And Mrs. Riggs' father, W.H. Lindley, is receiving treatment for a foot infection at St. Anthony's Hospital.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Owner Mrs. Velma Gault of Moline turned the keys of the Campbell Hotel, 5th Ave. And 16th St., Moline, over to officials of Moline Central Properties, Inc., the non-profit group formed to speed acquisition of real estate in downtown for parking. They purchased the hotel for $125,000 and will in turn sell it to the city for parking in conjunction with downtown redevelopment. It its day, the hotel was heralded as a ``beautiful structure.''
Back: Available days in January 2001