Day in history for January 17, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- M.M. Sturgeon and Lucien Adams have formed a law partnership and will occupy an office in Mitchell And Lynde's block. Mr. Sturgeon is the Rock Island County superintendent of schools.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Clara B. Hampton was installed as past commander of the Rock Island Lady Maccabees.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Dr. G.A. Andreen, president of Augustana College, was elected president of the National Lutheran Educational Association.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- If you hear a bell ringing outside of Hawthorne, Irving or Lincoln schools, call the fire department. That's the request of William W. Bailey, business manager of the Rock Island public school system. He announced today that work of installing automatic sprinklers in the three schools has been completed. If the sprinklers go on for any reason, an automatic alarm on an outside bell will begin ringing.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Mrs. Rose Poelvoorde of Silvis has been appointed to the newly formed Commission on Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities by Gov. Dan Walker. Mrs. Poelvoorde, in her third term as president of the Rock Island County Association for Retarded Citizens, is one of three statewide appointees to the 19-member board which will monitor the Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities.
Back: Available days in January 2001