Day in history for January 12, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Committee members of the Phoenix Hose company masquerade party are John Dixon, A. Webb, George Barns, John Sowden and J.M. Beardsley.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The cost of the new library in Rock Island will not exceed $60,000.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Allouez council, Knights of Columbus, voted to sell its property in the residential district and to purchase a building site in the Rock Island business district.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The final step in putting an extra link between gas systems of the Iowa and Illinois sides of the Quad-Cities began yesterday. Workmen began installing rollers on the brackets under the Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge which will carry the 8-inch pipe across the Mississippi River between Bettendorf and Moline. The $128,000 project will provide an alternate emergency feeder for use if either of the present feeder lines is broken.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Q.C. motorists are abandoning energy saving small cars as they help auto dealers break out of a two year sales slump. Area dealers and credit bureau managers say the new car buyers are shopping more for the best deal on that larger, more expensive auto. The slow recovery of the national economy apparently has bolstered buyer confidence.
Back: Available days in January 2001