Day in history for January 11, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- New officers of Hope Hose company, No. 3, are Menas Exner, Fred Channon, John Stauback and Will Channon.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Public Library board has adopted plans for the proposed new building, as prepared by Drack And Kerns.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- William Mender, a janitor at the Y.M.C.A., was injured when struck by a car.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Approximately 550 aliens have filed registration cards in Rock Island County post offices since Jan. 1 to comply with the U.S. internal security law enacted last fall. The number by cities: Moline, 300; Rock Island, 150; East Moline, 50, and Silvis, 50. The post offices yesterday mailed the cards they had received up to that time to the federal naturalization and immigration service.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- McClure Engineering Associates, Inc., Silvis Heights, might be considered an engineering marvel. William McClure, Jerold Leckman and a secretary started the firm in 1969 in two rented rooms in a Silvis Heights warehouse on $12,000, about half of which was borrowed. The firm has grown to include four division offices, two subsidiary firms and 72 employes across northern and western Illinois. Company officials hope to do $1 million in business this year.
Back: Available days in January 2001