Day in history for January 10, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- A harness sale was held at Kenworthy And Beardsley's office, Deputy Sheriff Harkert serving as auctioneer.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- G.H. McKown was installed as consul of Camp 309, Modern Woodmen of America.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. Walter A. Tillberg, pastor of Moline Trinity Lutheran Church the past 10 years, resigned.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Presentation of a plaque to Herbert M.F. Doden, Rock Island, as the state ``Pharmacist of the Year'' highlighted the annual dinner dance of the Rock Island County Pharmacists Association and Auxiliary last night at the Moline Eagles country home on Rock River. About a 110 persons attended the event. Music for dancing was supplied by Ray Winegar's orchestra. Herb Klier, director of physical education in Moline schools, was caller for mixers.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The 82-year-old Augustana College landmark Old Main and the college's House on the Hill, the former Weyerhaeuser mansion, have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. Old Main is constructed of dolomite quarried at LeClaire, Iowa, and reflects Swedish University architectural tradition. Weyerhaeuser bought the once modest farm home in 1865, then transformed it into the elegant residence now used by the college for special functions.
Back: Available days in January 2001