Day in history for December 8, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- About 60 men are employed at Rock Island Arsenal in the manufacture of infantry equipment, including saddles.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Lightning Medicine Company has leased quarters in Rock Island. The firm is capitalized at $50,000.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Wendell Lund, Augustana College student, denounced the commercialization of college football in a talk before the Kiwanis Club.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Annexation of Maple Grove to the Moline school district was approved by heavy majorities as 335 persons voted in yesterday's referendum in the two districts. The proposition carried in the Moline district, 188 to 18, and in Maple Grove, 124 to 5. Approval of both districts was necessary. With that question settled, the way is now clear for annexation of Mound View and Coal Valley to the Moline school system.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Miss Marlena Scavuzzo, Orion, will be driving a van instead of paddling a canoe, but she'll be a full-fledged member of LaSalle Expedition II when it takes off next August. The expedition involves an 8-month canoe trip retracing LaSalle's explorations of 200 years ago. Miss Scavuzzo's official title will be ``liaison team member,'' and some of her duties will be to drive the van to each place of destination, contact the press, provide food and help in any other way needed.
Back: Available days in December 2000