Day in history for December 23, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- C.H. Stoddard, city engineer, and his assistants, G.H. Boynton, James McElherne, Charles Harrold and Charles Stoddard, have commenced work on the survey for a route for the Chicago, Millington And Western narrow gauge railway to reach Rock Island.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Red Cross Medical Association of Rock Island and South Rock Island was incorporated under the laws of Illinois.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- John P. Looney, former underworld ruler in Rock Island, was found guilty of the murder of William Gabel in Knox County circuit court and was sentenced to 14 years imprisonment.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A ``real'' Christmas dinner will be served to prisoners in the Rock Island county jail at noon Christmas day, it was stated by Sheriff Morris E. Muhleman. At present 36 are confined in the institution. The Christmas noon menu includes roast turkey, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, cranberries, cabbage salad, lima beans, celery, cake and coffee.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Telephone operators at the MetroCom communications center at the Moline Emergency center will be relocated in an effort to improve the system. Operators will be relocated next to radio dispatchers to expedite communications between the two groups. Telephone operators currently are located in a separate room and use teleprinters to transmit messages to the radio dispatchers.
Back: Available days in December 2000