Day in history for December 19, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- New officers of Andalusia Lodge 516, A.F And A.M. are: Rinnah Wells, Benjamin Dell, J.H. Britton, John Buffum, A.F. Eckstrom, J.M. Buffum, Joseph Burdick and David Finley.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island and Moline Jews are planning to erect a synagogue in Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Owen B. Wright, principal of Washington Junior High School, was nominated as president of the Rock Island Exchange Club.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The Eagle Super Markets have made arrangements to fly Santa Claus into Rock Island in a helicopter and land in the large lot directly across the street from the firm's 11th Street store at 1 o'clock Thursday afternoon. Children from all communities are invited to attend. Santa will distribute treats to all.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- A Moline couple in the coin-operated laundry and dry-cleaning business the last 38 years stacked their final box of detergent and are heading for the open road. The years for Harry and Leona Hallberg include the distinction of opening the first coin-operated laundry in the city and being the first business moved for planned redevelopment of downtown Moline. The Hallbergs handed over ownership papers of their Big Boy Laundromat, ending a series of businesses started shortly after they were married in 1938.
Back: Available days in December 2000