Day in history for December 15, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The Trinity Church festival was held in the residence of W.B. Grenelle, Rock Island.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island fire department purchased a fine black team of horses from Boyd McMichael of Zuma for $350.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- East Moline voters rejected consolidation with Moline by a 3 to 1 majority. Moline voters favored consolidation by 13 to 1. To be effective, the measure would have to be carried in both cities.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- H.V. ``Shorty'' Almquist, Rock Island high school athletic director and head football coach since 1941, has an appointment in Minnesota tomorrow to talk about the University of Minnesota coaching post with Ike Armstrong, athletic director at Minnesota. Almquist, one of the most successful high school coaches in Illinois, was a former Minnesota star.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- There is an interesting mix of Quad-City machinists and students in Black Hawk College's computerized machine tool program. The result is a unique blend of old and new manufacturing arts. The 26 students enrolled in the courses this fall are taught to program computers to manufacture parts. The courses have been taught at Black Hawk since 1967 but until recently the only local industry adopting the advanced technology was the federal government at the Rock Island Arsenal.
Back: Available days in December 2000