Day in history for December 14, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- New officers of Philo Masonic Lodge at Port Byron are: John W. Herbert, J.S. Knowles, Thomas Jennings, J.C. Wainwright, John Shafer, A.J. Rowe, William Bryant, Casper Morrow and John Beal.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Sister Mary Michael was appointed superior at St. Anthony's Hospital, Rock Island, succeeding Sister Angela.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Isador Katz, Augustana oratorical representative, placed fifth in the Illinois intercollegiate contest at Eureka.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- E. Lee Siemon, Rock Island, supervisor of the Rock Island key point air raid warning center, which will serve eight counties, today received the official system to be followed throughout Illinois for alerting the public to enemy air raids. A 24-hour service telephone already has been established in an undisclosed location in Rock Island for handling any emergency or test calls in connection with the civil defense control.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Though their own children have long since married and left home Mr. and Mrs. Vic Dykema, Lyndon, Ill., still find their house overflowing with the raucous, good natured sounds of kids growing up. The youth of this community regularly filter into the Dykema residence to hang out in the non-profit, game-filled youth center the couple has established in the basement.
Back: Available days in December 2000