Day in history for December 13, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The local ticket officer of the Peoria And Rock Island railway has been moved to the new depot at the foot of Elk Street.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- F.M. Rogers of Rock Island was elected commander of John Buford post, Grand Army of the Republic.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island police officers testified that John Looney's control of the Rock Island police department made possible the murder of William Gabel.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Charges of waste and extravagance in the expenditure of city money to redecorate and refurnish the mayor's office, that of his secretary, a committee meeting room and the city council chambers were leveled at Mayor Hjalmar Oakleaf by Ald. Arthur Allen at last night's Moline City Council meeting. Ald. Allen said, ``The people of Moline are going to be surprised when they learn how their money has been squandered.''
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The Dec. 15 issue of Time magazine, in a Time essay, included William A. Hewitt, chairman of Deere And Co., among their selections of men now in private life who might serve the nation as president. Of Hewitt, the magazine says, ``Among the other chief executives who merit consideration by reason of experience, intelligence and conspicuous success in business and civic affairs is Deere And Co.'s William Hewitt.''
Back: Available days in December 2000