Day in history for November 7, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- New officers of the Rock Island County Agricultural Society are: W.L. Sweeney, Charles H. Deere, James J. Parks, S.K.W. Field, A.P. Fisk, James Cook and Charles Laflin.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- A.F. Casper of Rock Island is president of Tri-City Local, No. 93, International Brotherhood of Bookbinders.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The People's Power Company will clean the Rock Island street lights at 30-day intervals to maintain full brilliancy.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Hundreds of Rock Island residents visited the Lincoln historical exhibit car just west of the Rock Island Lines depot today, to view many of the letters, documents and personal possessions of one of the nation's greatest presidents. The car, containing 63 Lincoln items, is now on its second tour of downstate Illinois for the purpose of raising $220,000 necessary to purchase the entire Lincoln collection of the late Oliver R. Barrett, Chicago lawyer, for the people of Illinois, to be housed in the Illinois State Historical Library at Springfield.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Years of small dreams and small pleasures went on the auction block in Andover when more than 600 coins collected by an elderly Galesburg woman were sold because she was afraid burglars would steal them. Mrs. Harry Reynolds collection was more of a hobbyists assortment than a prize collection.
Back: Available days in November 2000