Day in history for November 30, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Fire hydrants are protected with sawdust this winter, and empty barrels have been placed over them.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The census bureau announced that the official Rock Island population for 1900 is 19,493, a gain of 6,000 over 1890.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- W.C. Grant was elected president of the Rock Island Kiwanis Club.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Representatives of the Quad-Cities, Milan, Silvis and Bettendorf, appointed by the mayors of the respective communities, will meet at 7:30, Dec. 8, in the Rock Island City Hall for the purpose of organizing a metropolitan road authority to give consideration to major street developments for the entire area. The group is expected to organize and discuss both primary road and arterial street systems and their prospective developments and other subjects of mutual interest.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- First Lutheran Church of Moline, which has the distinction of having what is believed to be the first church bell in a Swedish church in this country, will celebrate its 125th anniversary Dec. 6-7. First Lutheran Church, one of the oldest churches in the community, is rich in tradition. The first church was a small wooden structure, 15 feet high and 36 feet long, built on the church's present site in 1850, a year after the City of Moline was incorporated.
Back: Available days in November 2000