Day in history for November 25, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- A total of 903 students are enrolled in Moline schools, according to Professor Gregory.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Illinois Western Hospital at Watertown requested an appropriation of $200,000 for next year.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- As a preventative measure against bank robbers, the Henry County Sheriff's office has deputized 50 minutemen, issued shotguns and rifles and given orders to ``shoot to kill.''
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Tempers as well as bread are rising in Davenport bakeries as a result of a telephone prankster who reportedly has placed a half-dozen fake orders in the past few days. Police attempting to track down the joker said yesterday's example was typical: A $3 wedding cake was ordered and delivered. No one at that address had placed the order.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- ``Divine guidance does help.'' So Sister Mary Stanley, a nun and teacher-coach at St. Mary's Catholic School in East Moline, prays each time she sends her basketball team into competition. The ecclesiastical coach, who coaches and works out in her nun's habit, also preps winners in softball and track. The petite nun of Lithuanian heritage says that it takes plenty of elbow grease in addition to her prayers to make a winning team.
Back: Available days in November 2000