Day in history for November 21, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Albert Johnson's saloon in Moline and two adjoined buildings burned to the ground for a loss of $3,500.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Fire destroyed the building and stock of the Davenport Furniture Andamp; Carpet Company and damage was estimated at $125,000.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The congregation at Immanuel Lutheran Church, Rock Island, is planning a campaign to secure funds for the endowment of Valparaiso University.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Lieutenant Harold ``Pete'' Nagel, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry H. Nagel, Davenport, was one of three Navy pilots rescued by a Japanese freighter after their plane was ditched in the Sea of Japan, yesterday, according to the Associated Press. The U.S. Carrier Valley Forge reported the men were picked up after Nagel's Skyraider went into the sea.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Jesus fell out of Heaven in Geneseo last night. He didn't catch hell, though. ``Jesus,'' the lead role in Geneseo High School's production of ``Godspell'' was played by 15-year-old Shawn Anderson. A trying moment for Anderson came when he was climbing atop an eight foot scaffolding which symbolized Heaven. A dancer bumped the scaffolding, knocking Anderson off before he reached the top. The young actor regained his balance before he hit the ground, popped up on the other side of the structure, and continued preaching.
Back: Available days in November 2000