Day in history for November 19, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island ladies get up mince pie gatherings; those in Geneseo, plum pudding lunches; but here in Moline we have dime sociables and oyster suppers. They are all good to take.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island Arsenal is in need of workers for construction of the small arms plant and the base hospital.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Exchange Club will take part in the presentation of a charter to the Quincy, Ill., club.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A sneak audition won a recording contract for Michelle Cotter, Rock Island native, according to a story from the Northwestern University campus paper. Miss Cotter is featured as ``Mickey Carter'' in the novelty record ``I Want a Boyfriend for Christmas,'' backed by ``Under the Mistletoe,'' released recently by Premium Record Corp. of Chicago. The story told how a friend put Miss Cotter's voice on his wire recorder along with that of a man who was slated for an audition. Premium's music director liked her voice better.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Leaders of the Hare Krishna religious sect were conferring in Dallas today on whether to pursue efforts to purchase the defunct Roosevelt Military Academy in Aledo. Approximately 600 people attended a special town meeting where the question of whether to let the Hare Krishna sect purchase the academy was discussed.
Back: Available days in November 2000