Day in history for November 17, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Frank Taylor and George Ziegler were injured when some freight cars crashed into a passenger train above the Sylvan water bridge near Keator's mill.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Central Presbyterian Church Guild will present a play, ``The Spinster's Convention,'' at Harper's Theater, Rock Island. The money will be used for an improvement fund at the church.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Rotary Club conducted a memorial service for Hugh Crawford and Henry Kramer.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- If the Loras College football team proves as ingenious as the school's pranksters, the St. Ambrose College team is going to have a tough job on its hands when it tangles with the Duhawks tomorrow afternoon at Dubuque in the Iowa conference play-off. This morning it was discovered that Loras backers had visited the St. Ambrose campus during the night and covered sidewalks and walls with ``Beat St. Ambrose'' signs, besides running a Loras flag to the top of the St. Ambrose flagpole.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- ``Beware of Homeowner'' signs soon may outnumber ``Beware of Dog'' signs in Colona if the problem of dogs running loose isn't alleviated. The consensus of canine-harassed homeowners is that dogs are man's best friend only if confined to their own yards.
Back: Available days in November 2000