Day in history for October 6, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The Standard Lotta bustle is being offered for sale in Rock Island. Its design enables it to close up against a chair back.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- W.T. Channon, Hamilton Perry, Rock Island, and Frank T. Dufva have formed a plumbing business.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- John Looney was granted a change of venue to Galesburg on the charge of murdering William Gabel.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- An opinion will be sought from the attorney general's office as to whether or not cities have the power to place ``stop'' signs during school passing periods on streets other than state highways, Floyd A. Shetter, Rock Island county superintendent of schools said today. This was decided after a survey was made of traffic hazards near city and rural schools yesterday.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The Metropolitan Airport Authority approved a joint engineering contract for planning the first phase of a $5 million Quad City Airport runway reconstruction and expansion project. The improvements will be done over a three-year period and will make the runway capable of handling larger four-engine jet aircraft, such as the Douglas DC-8 and Boeing 707. The first phase work will include reconstruction of 1,000 feet of the existing east-west runway to bring it up to safety standards and the complete overlaying of the rest of the 6,500-foot runway.
Back: Available days in October 2000