Day in history for October 4, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- General Belknap, secretary of war, will visit Rock Island Arsenal. It was Gen. Belknap who did away with the pass system over the government bridge.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Milton L. Salyard and Herman Holtorf, Rock Island, have formed a partnership for the operation of a barber shop.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- A total of 1,500 telephones in Rock Island became inoperative when rain saturated a cable.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A Rock Island man paid $1.45 for three pounds of catfish and two muskrats yesterday but he isn't too happy about it. He said his wife unwrapped his purchase, made from a man he met in a tavern, and found only a brick and a block of wood. Sam Schaeffer, who gave his address as 315 23rd St., has asked police to search for the man who swindled him.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Dome Pipeline Corp., Calgary, Canada, has applied for permits to build dual pipelines under the Mississippi and Rock Rivers in upper Rock Island and Whiteside counties. The 10- and 12-inch lines would cross the Mississippi near the Farm Services, Inc., tank farm north of Cordova and would cross the Rock 3 miles east of Erie. The purpose of the pipelines is for the transportation of light hydrocarbon liquids to fractionation plants and petrochemical plants in the eastern market.
Back: Available days in October 2000