Day in history for October 29, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Insanity takes most curious forms. A Davenport girl told a fellow she would marry him, just for fun, you know. He procured a marriage license and presented it for business and that girl very considerately asked him if he couldn't take a joke. And now they are trying him for insanity.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Durant Howard, editor of the Rock Island Republican, announced that the publication of the paper has been suspended.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- A runaway team demolished the new traffic light post at 9th Street and 3rd Avenue, Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Pre-Halloween vandals were blamed by police today for the theft of 8 to 10 small pillows and 2 bed-size pillows from a porch at the residence of Mrs. George E. Benson, 828 44th St., Rock Island. Police said they received reports the pillows were taken by several youths and subsequently destroyed in order that the youths could sprinkle feathers on cars and porches.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- There is an art to janitorial services at Colona Grade School. Daryl Person, 18, is an artist at heart and a janitor only by occupation. Person was hired as a part-time janitor this summer to paint two Trojans, the school emblem, on the gymnasium walls. He estimates the first Trojan took three weeks to paint and the second a week and a half.
Back: Available days in October 2000