Day in history for October 27, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Finishing touches are being added to the new wing of the Catholic church in Moline. Father Greve is the church priest.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Thomas VanTuyl has invented a folding cart designed for use of traveling men who have heavy samples to carry.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Alderman J.W. Houder has assumed the office of acting mayor to serve during the absence of Rock Island Mayor W.A. Rosenfield.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The show went on despite a live snake roaming around the stage and a cat capering through the audience during the presentation of ``You Can't Take It With You'' last night in Davenport High School auditorium. The first unrehearsed scene of the play came when Thomas, a restless cat, wandered offstage. Sir Thomas investigated the audience and the play went on minus Thomas. The situation took on more startling proportions when a garter snake escaped from an aquarium on stage.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- George Wilken, Moline, has spent 1,200 hours refinishing a hundred-year-old pool table to its original splendor. Its value is estimated at between $12,000 and $15,000. Its cost in 1875 was $325. The Brunswick model, still a famous name in pool tables, has been authenticated by company officials. Wilken received the table from his grandfather, also named George Wilken, a one time mayor of Hampton.
Back: Available days in October 2000