Day in history for October 22, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Moline, as usual, brought home several first premiums from the St. Louis fair: Deere, Mansur And Co. for the largest and best display of agricultural implements; and the Moline Plow Co. for the best walking cultivator.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Judge N.E. Worthington spoke at Harper's Theater, Rock Island, under the auspices of the Democratic county central committee.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island board of local improvements approved the brick resurfacing plan for 12th Street.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Pranksters who prematurely set off a homecoming rally bonfire at Alleman Catholic High School, Rock Island, last night, not only caused extra work for Alleman students, but also endangered the neighborhood by their vandalism. Flames from the 12-foot high bonfire soared skyward about 7 p.m., carrying burning pieces of cardboard into residential areas.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Moline city officials are having a tough time satisfying everyone when it comes to a sidewalk along the east side of 7th St. Parents and PTA members from Hamilton and William Carr Elementary schools urged the council to install the sidewalk for the safety of children walking to school. Property owners want the sidewalk next to the curb, rather than eight feet from the curb, as proposed by the engineering department.
Back: Available days in October 2000