Day in history for October 2, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. H.M. Laney is the new pastor at the Methodist Episcopal Church, Rock Island.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- A council of the Knights of Columbus was formed in Davenport with a membership of 52.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The grand lodge of Masons will be asked to sanction erection of the new $50,000 Prince Hall in Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The Davenport police ``case of the missing red wig'' was solved when a wig found in a rest room at the McCabe Hause, Rock Island, was reported to be the missing article. On Friday, the operator of a costume shop in Davenport reported that a young woman had failed to return the wig, valued at $50, after renting it overnight for $2.50. Saturday evening, a Rock Island girl informed police she had found a red wig in a rest room of the McCabe store. She said she had left her watch in the room, but when she returned to get it, the watch was gone and the wig had been left in its place.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- An era has ended with the discontinuation of the Big Ben railroad club car on the Quad-Cities-to-Chicago Rock Island Lines run. Bonnie Butterworth, wife of DePorter-Butterworth Travel Agency owner William Butterworth, said the car has become ``non-competitive'' because of 50 minutes added to the Rock Island schedule. The club car was complete with a bar, tables, lounge and a Vista Dome.
Back: Available days in October 2000