Day in history for October 15, 2000

1875 -- 125 years ago
At a recent Methodist conference in Moline the committee on tobacco were especially severe in their denunciation of the weed. The declaration they submitted made smoking a terrible sin, but there was no committee that said a word against the itinerant consumption of spring chickens.

1900 -- 100 years ago
The Rock Island City Council has $40,000 worth of waterworks certificates for sale.

1925 -- 75 years ago
H.H. Cleaveland was elected vice president of the Illinois chamber of commerce for the fifth time.

1950 -- 50 years ago
An automobile owned by Ernest Clifton, Moline, was damaged by fire at 5:40 p.m. yesterday but firemen of Central station didn't have to move more than a few feet to extinguish the blaze. Clifton drove his car to the station when he discovered the front seat afire, apparently from a discarded cigarette.

1975 -- 25 years ago
A federal grant for a pedestrian walkway over Interstate 74 to serve students walking to Jefferson Elementary School, Moline, has been approved by the Department of Transportation. 90 percent of the grant will come from the Federal Highway Administration interstate system funds with the remaining 10 percent to be paid by the state transportation department. Estimated cost of the project is $26,000 and is expected to be completed by next spring.

Back: Available days in October 2000



Local events heading








  Today is Monday, April 21, the 111th day of 2014. There are 254 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The female sex seems to have gone crazy on the subject of dry goods. When high prices keep them from increasing their wardrobes, they turn to stealing. Yard goods, hats, shoes and other items are being picked up and carried home.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Members of Everts Commandery No. 18, Knights Templar, under Commander H.C. Cleaveland, marched from the Masonic Temple to Trinity Episcopal Church for their annual Easter services.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Nate Hultgren pitched the Augustana College baseball team to a 10-3 victory over Carthage, striking out 11 men and allowing only four hits.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Marvel Leonhardi, a Rock Island High School senior, was the winner of an essay contest on advertising sponsored by The Argus and Advertising Age, a national advertising publication.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Augustana College band drew a crowd of 1,200 people for its annual home concert in Centennial Hall. The size of the crowd was indicative of the fact the band is rapidly approaching the stature of the Augustana Choir.
1989 -- 25 years ago: A benefit to raise money for extracurricular activities in the Rock Island Milan School District will be April 27 at the Quad City Downs harness race track. People buying $17.50 tickets to the second annual "Night at the Quad City Downs" will be entitled to an evening of harness racing and dinner.






(More History)