Day in history for October 13, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- D.B. Sears and C. Truesdale of Rock Island, James M. Allan of Geneseo and Charles Atkinson of Moline are on the committee which will consider possible extension of the Hennepin Canal.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- W.H. Baumann was elected president at the annual reorganization meeting of the Thirty Club.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- A riverfront improvement fund will be established from increased yearly rental for levee property in Rock Island.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Purchase of the Book Nook, 1813 2nd Ave., Rock Island, by Heinrich W. Maxeiner, Rock Island building contractor, was revealed today. The bookstore was bought from the estate of the late Mrs. Almeda Humphrey, and plans are being made to modernize the interior, Mr. Maxeiner said. No changes are planned in the lines of books and periodicals sold by the store.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Christine Mohr, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Mohr, rural East Moline, took the top prize for a tap dance routine in the 26th Annual Youth Talent Contest sponsored by the Illinois State Court Catholic Order of Foresters. She competed in the grade 5 and younger category. Also winning honors was Brian Adlfinger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Adlfinger, East Moline. He won third in the senior division (grades 6 through age 15) with an electric guitar solo.
Back: Available days in October 2000