Day in history for October 10, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- John Zollinger of Port Byron was robbed of $200. A day later the Port Byron Western Union office was burglarized.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- H.H. Cleaveland will build a new home at the corner of 20th Street and 9th Avenue, Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Sacred Heart Church, Rock Island, has purchased a residence to be used as a convent for sisters teaching at Sacred Heart Parochial School.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A 10-minute sound film, ``Stay in School'' has been made available for use in schools of this area through the Navy recruiting station in Rock Island. The film is designed to aid in preventing students from dropping out of school prematurely.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- When the last Halloween pumpkin is sold, the Schwark brothers will close the roadside vegetable stand they've operated for more than 40 years. The brothers, Jerry, 71, and Fred, 74, who have lived on their 80-acre farm on Wolf Road since birth, feel it's time to retire.
Back: Available days in October 2000