Day in history for September 9, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Petit jurors from Rock Island township are: Adam Mauker, I.N. Holmes, Alvin Hull, Elijah Carter and William Harper.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. W.H. Martin of Rock Island won the fourth annual contest for the women's championship of Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Mayor Walter A. Rosenfield was named general chairman of the Rock Island community chest drive.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Some of the finest horses in the Midwest will be put through their paces tonight when the Rock Island Benefit Horse Show opens at Douglas Park. A total of 140 horses have been registered by 62 stables for the three show sessions tonight, tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. Large crowds are anticipated because of the outstanding show which has been lined up.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- To smoke or not to smoke, that is the question the East Moline City Council public-safety committee asked. As Police Chief Merle O'Dell and Ald. Wayne Cummings puffed away on cigarettes, committee chairman Ald. Ralph VanDeCasteele proposed that the city attorney and fire chief research the possibilities of outlawing smoking in East Moline stores. The idea met with resounding approval from the non-smoking members of the panel, but Cummings and O'Dell attempted to snuff out the spark, claiming any such law is unenforceable.
Back: Available days in September 2000