Day in history for September 8, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- A total of 171 arrests were made in Rock Island during June, July and August. The largest number was 23 for drunk and disorderly conduct.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Sir William Henry Preece, who has been experimenting with wireless telegraphy, was able to convey audible speech six to eight miles across the sea without wires.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Thirty persons were hurled into Crescent Lake near Alpha when the north end of the clubhouse porch collapsed.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- C. Thomas Magnum, Rock Island professional magician, will begin his winter tour Monday at LaMouer, N.D. He will give at least 300 performances by the end of his season, May 17. He will make appearances in private, parochial and public elementary and high schools, colleges, state institutions, abbeys and deaf asylums. The first week his schedule calls for 15 entertainments.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- How would you like to share your house with 4,000 fish? Jack Bivens thinks it's great. In the family room of his home in Rock Island, Bivens has 30 aquariums ranging in size from 2 to 55 gallons. In addition, he has three 95-gallon horse watering tanks in the family room. These are used for raising young fish. Bivens has been involved in the tropical fish hobby for five years.
Back: Available days in September 2000