Day in history for September 30, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The old Dennison seminary, Rock Island, has been transformed into a plumber's shop.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Cato Sells, Democrat orator, will speak in Rock Island.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- St. Anthony's Hospital, Rock Island, was given an efficiency certificate by the American College of Surgeons.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- A tentative schedule for one-a-week garbage collection which will start next week in Rock Island was announced today by William R. March, city health officer. He said the schedule is subject to change but for the most part follows a similar schedule used last spring before two-a-week pickup service was inaugurated for the summer months.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- The driving of a golden spike will immediately precede the first official run of the Mel McKay Express, Niabi Zoo's new one-third-size replica of a famed Civil War era train. Purchase of the new gas-powered engine and authentically recreated coaches, capable of carrying as many as 42 passengers, was made possible through a grant from the Mel McKay trust fund. The new train replaces an old steam-powered one which had been in operation on the zoo grounds for a number of years.
Back: Available days in September 2000