Day in history for September 26, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- John Bengston may open a drug store in his new block in Rock Island. The block is one of the finest in the city.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The annual meeting of the Central Presbyterian Guild was held at the home of Mrs. Samuel Edwards.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Ralph LeGuire, 22, Rock Island, may lose his right hand as the result of a severe wrist fracture received while cranking a car.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- An attempted jailbreak at the Rock Island county jail scheduled for next Sunday was discovered last evening, Sheriff Claude J. Taylor said today. The plan to ``konk'' a jailer with an iron bar and ``make the break'' was discovered when a note a trusty was carrying from one prisoner to another was intercepted. A search of the cells this morning revealed that a 1-foot section of an inch thick steel cell bar had been sawed out and was being held in place with a piece of wire from an old coat hanger.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- About 200 occupants of the Sheraton Rock Island, in the city's downtown district, were forced to evacuate the motor inn for about an hour at 4:30 this morning when a fire occurred in the elevator service room on the third floor of the building. The fire originated when a pillow and box of trash under a telephone panel were ignited by a discarded cigarette. A firefighter incurred minor injuries.
Back: Available days in September 2000