Day in history for September 2, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Entries in the cattle division at the Rock Island County Fair include Robert Holloway of Alexis, E.R. Healey of Andalusia, John Deere of Moline and Albert Stevens of Rock Island.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Hostesses for the recital to be given by Miss Mattie Jones at Harper's Theater are Mesdames G.W. Cash, Julia Rosenfield, W.H. Gest, L. Simon, G.L. Eyster, John Warner, Phil Mitchell and Charles McHugh.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Enrollment in Rock Island schools on the first day of the fall term was 5,550.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Hoping for the same kind of a break they got from the weather during the Illinois Men's Amateur Golf Championships, Short Hills Country Club officials were making a long-range prediction of blue skys for Monday's appearance of Mildred Zaharias, the former Babe Didrickson of Olympic fame. The famed Babe, winner of just about every athletic title open to women, will appear in an 18-hole golf exhibition starting at 1 o'clock.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- A strike continued today by movie projectionists against the Dubinsky theater chain. In the Quad-Cities, the strike affects: Parkway, Moline; Capri, Rock Island; Capitol, Davenport. The three Quad-Cities theaters are operating as usual with supervisory employees doubling as projectionists.
Back: Available days in September 2000