Day in history for September 19, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The stone work on the new city bridge between Hake's and Vandruff's Islands will soon be completed, and preparations are being made for the iron work.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- The Central Trust And Savings Bank made its deposit of $50,000 with the state auditor and received authority to operate the trust department in connection with its banking business.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- The new home of the Argus was inspected by 6,500 people at an open house.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- On recommendation of the city council's river-rail terminal committee, Rock Island aldermen last night accepted the bid of the Dohrn Transfer Co., Rock Island, on a 99-year lease of city-owned land at the west end of 4th Avenue. The Dohrn firm bid $1,500 annually and proposes to erect a freight terminal and storage building estimated to cost a minimum of $150,000.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- Soon now the little band of Carmelite Sisters, who have called the Queen of Angels Monastery their home for the past 60 years, will pack and move to a new home in Eldridge, Iowa, now almost completed. Today the sale of the Carmelite Monastery to the Unity Church, Davenport, for a reported $185,000, will be closed. Dr. Randolph Schmelig, minister of the 200-member congregation, said they found the old 70-room monastery in perfect condition.
Back: Available days in September 2000