Day in history for September 14, 2000

1875 -- 125 years ago
A total of 1,430 students have registered in Rock Island schools for the fall term.

1900 -- 100 years ago
The Rock Island County board of supervisors voted for the abolition of witness fees, except when testifying before the grand jury.

1925 -- 75 years ago
Mrs. Lucy Morris, Rock Island, was elected president of the Fourteenth District Women's Relief Corps.

1950 -- 50 years ago
Wren Jeffers, 40, of Griggsville, stepped out of his smashed car with two broken fingers today although his car ran off the road on a curve on Route 57 south of Quincy, jumped a curbing and hit the stone steps of a tavern, knocked down a clump of fir trees, hurled 20 feet into the air and tore down telephone lines, hurdled over a parked car and landed on a corner of the tavern, ripped off the tavern sign, some shingles and smashed a vestibule, plowed into three parked cars and damaged the fronts of each, and came to a stop after showering parts on two other cars.

1975 -- 25 years ago
Radioactivity in water supplies of two area communities may slightly exceed proposed federal standards. One well in Silvis and one in Carbon Cliff produce water that may contain slightly more radioactivity than is considered safe, according to the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.

Back: Available days in September 2000

Local events heading

  Today is Thursday, July 31, the 212th day of 2014. There are 153 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: A corps of surgeons now occupies the new hospital quarters at the Garrison Hospital on the Rock Island Arsenal. A fence has been installed to enclose the prison hospital.
1889 -- 125 years ago: B. Winter has let a contract to Christ Schreiner for a two story brick building with a double store front on the south side of 3rd Avenue just west of 17th Street. The estimated cost was $4,500.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Germany sent simultaneous ultimatums to Russia and France, demanding that Russia suspend mobilization within 12 hours and demanding that France inform Germany within 18 hours. In the case of war between Germany and Russia, France would remain neutral.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Civil service offices at the post office and the Rock Island Arsenal were swamped as more than 700 youths sought 15 machinist apprenticeships at the Arsenal.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Last night, American Legion Post 246 in Moline figuratively handed over the trousers to a female ex-Marine and petticoat rule began. Olga Swanson, of Moline, was installed as the first woman commander of the post .
1989 -- 25 years ago: The Illinois Quad City Civic Center captured the excitement and interest of a convention of auditorium managers this weekend in Reno, Nev. Bill Adams, civic center authority chairman, said the 10,000-seat arena planned for downtown Moline has caught the eye of construction firms, suppliers, management teams and concession groups.

(More History)