Day in history for September 13, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- The officers of Wide Awake Hose Company, No. 2, are: James Johnson, foreman; Daniel Hesly, assistant; Peter Smith, secretary; Thomas Johnson, treasurer, and Edward Rettiker, plugman.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Fred Mueller was elected president of the Rock Island High School Athletic Association.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- John Armstrong and Oscar Hendrian signed contracts with the Rock Island Independents football team.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island board of education, at its meeting last night, adopted a resolution to call the attention of the city council to the need of traffic control in school areas. The board will request the council to substitute stop signs instead of slow signs at school crossings. The presence of policemen at dangerous crossings before and after classes also will be sought.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- A 32-pound muskie fish represents a grand personal trophy for Loren Hays of Orion, but he caught the fish too early for it to become a prize winner. Hays participates annually in a muskie rodeo at Cass Lake, Minnesota, but he caught his huge speciman, which measures 47 1/2 inches, two days before the rodeo officially opened. Hays caught a 24-pound muskie during the competition, which put him on the prize list.
Back: Available days in September 2000