Day in history for September 1, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Azel Bodinson of Rock Island was critically injured while working on a Rock Island Lines train in Peoria.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- Current prices in Rock Island are: Eggs, 12 cents a dozen; butter, 16 cents a pound; potatoes, 35 cents a bushel.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- Dan H. McNeal, East Moline, was appointed assistant state's attorney.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- Mel Gordon, former Rock Island High and Drake University star, will be one of the signal callers for the Quad-City Mohawks when they open the season Sunday afternoon at the Rock Island Public Schools stadium, meeting the Wausau, Wisc., club in a Central States Professional Football League game.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- One of the youngest competitors ever shared top honors in one of the area's oldest tournaments when 10-year-old Gary Maass of Rock Island was on the winning threesome in the 52nd annual Daily Dispatch Rolle Bolle Tournament at Stephens Park, Moline. Gary, who took up the sport only this year, scored a couple of critical points in the championship round. Joining Gary on the winning team were Bob DeBusschere of Moline and Chuck Emmendorfer of East Moline.
Back: Available days in September 2000