Day in history for August 9, 2000
- 1875 -- 125 years ago
- Among the improvements to Rock Island this year are the following: The Rock Island House, Bengston's block, Rock Island National Bank, Volk's building, Tegeler's block and Central Presbyterian Church.
- 1900 -- 100 years ago
- A $1,000 Dean pump was stolen from the Black Diamond Coal Co. near Coal Valley.
- 1925 -- 75 years ago
- John Dee was elected president of the Rock Island division of the Mississippi Motor Club.
- 1950 -- 50 years ago
- The price of a cup of coffee in Rock Island remained unchanged today, a survey of restaurants and lunch counters showed, though several establishments in Moline hiked their prices yesterday. According to Rock Island coffee servers, local prices won't follow the Moline boost unless ``someone raises the price and others follow.'' Earlier this year, a lunch counter reported hiking coffee prices, but went back to the nickel-a-cup tab after a month's experimentation.
- 1975 -- 25 years ago
- It's harvest time at the Darwin Knudtson farm in rural Henry County. But instead of oats, or soybeans, Knudtson is harvesting potatoes and will continue doing just that until mid-September. The Knudtson potato farm, located northeast of Geneseo, is only one of two farms in the area which grows potatoes commercially for Eagle Food Stores.
Back: Available days in August 2000